I’m all for shortcuts in the kitchen. If it can save me time and back pain while not compromising health and taste, sign me right up.
I’ve been known to use my microwave as a shortcut to sauté onions before adding to crockpot dishes like here, to make easy jam and marmalade and even to cook the best asparagus and I am not even sorry. Why dirty a pan and babysit something from burning when you can…not?
I’ve been cooking my potatoes in the microwave before mashing them for years now, but so far, the microwave has mostly been a humble participant in the process. This dish begins and ends with it and it cannot be easier.
- 5-6 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed and rinsed. If yours are tiny and pretty, just scrub and half them.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- Rock salt to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Place potatoes, oil, chili sauce and salt in a microwave safe pot or dish with a lid. Mix well and cover.
- Cook on high intensity for 10 minutes. Let rest for 5 more minutes.
- Open lid carefully (hot!) and check doneness with a fork. If not soft enough, cook in 2 minute increments.
- Sprinkle Parsley and serve!