This is the recipe my father has been preparing for Passover since I can remember. It is so easy to make and so tasty, I literally cannot stop myself from licking the spoon.
- 200 grams pitted dates
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) ground almonds/almond meal
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) ground walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 glass dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 apple, peeled and grated, or 1/3 – 1/2 cup apple sauce
- In a food processor, process dates with a bit of boiling water until a paste forms.
- In a small pot, mix dates + wine until uniform. If very thick, add 3-4 tablespoons of water.
- Cook over very low heat until the batter is smooth, glossy and thick.
- Add ground nuts and almonds, cinnamon and cloves and cook for about 2 minutes over a very low heat, stirring. take off the heat.
- When the mixture has cooled slightly, add the grated apple while stirring.
- Transfer to a bowl with a lid and store in the refrigerator.