In my last post , I lamented the loss of my beloved, easy pizza recipe. It was such a life saver whenever I had not enough brain matter left alive to figure out supper. Coming to think of it, let’s take a moment to ponder why I developed such a dependence on my written notes… I distinctly remember memorizing all my class notes and my friends phone numbers by heart when I was younger. When I was younger. Hmm. I might be on to something here…too bad I don’t have enough brain matter left.
Enough about that, let’s talk pizza. Quick, easy, delicious home made pizza. Man, am I hungry.
Easy No-Yeast Pizza
For the dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 sour cream
For the Sauce:
1 heaping Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 tsp salt
2 tsp brown sugar
1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
1 full can (156 ml) water
about 2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
whatever else you like to put on your pizza.
1. Pre-heat your oven to the hottest temperature it will go. Mine reaches 550F. That’s about 290 degrees Celcius.
2 .In a large bowl, mix all dough ingredients until a dough is formed. Knead until united and form a ball. Let the dough rest a bit while you whip up the pizza sauce.
3. In a medium sauce pan, combine olive oil, garlic and oregano. Heat on medium-high heat until your kitchen begins to smell like garlic. Pour in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then cut the heat.
4. On a floured surface, roll out your pizza dough with a floured rolling pin into a large circle, about 1/4 inch (approx. 1/2 centimeter) thick. Transfer to an oiled baking tray.
5. Taste your sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed. Spread the cool(ish) sauce over the pizza dough and top with 1 cup of cheese. Proceed to sprinkle with your favorite toppings. Peppers, olives, mushrooms, etc. Finish with another cup of grated cheese. If you like, pinch the edges of the circle upwards to create a pretty edge. Totally optional.
6. Bake in a very hot oven for about 15 minutes, till the cheese is melted and everything looks golden and crispy. Yum!